Discovery Learning Terms & Conditions
Please be sure to read these terms and conditions in full before enrolling on your course. In particular please pay attention to Sections 2 and 7: Payment and Cancellation & Non Attendance. Please call and speak to a member of Discovery staff if you need more information. This does not affect your statutory rights.
1. Course selection. Select the course that you require and please speak to a Discovery staff member to assist you if you require career or professional advice to ensure that you are selecting the right course for you. Then you should complete our enrolment form in full, paying particular attention to the required fields and send it to our office via post, fax or e-mail. If you omit a required field it may delay your application. In case you decide to submit your details over the phone to a member of Discovery Learning team who will fill the enrolment form for you –Discovery Learning Terms & Conditions apply to your booking entirely.
2a. If you are paying in full. If you are funding the course yourself, you will be required to forward the full amount for the course to secure your place on the course. Full payment must be received via the credit/debit card (please note American Express credit cards are not accepted), bank transfer or cheque. If a cheque is returned to us from the bank, there will be a £20 administration and bank charge fee applicable and you will have to use another form of payment. Prices are subject to change from time to time, however you will be charged the price that is currently advertised or that which has been agreed with you.
2b. Payment by instalments – Deko Pay (Pay4Later). Some of our courses are eligible for payment by monthly instalments. Discovery Learning work with Deko Pay, the UK’s fastest growing provider of point of sale credit solutions in the field of education and training. If you have been approved for finance and accepted an offer, please refer to separate terms and conditions as issued to you by the lender. If you have agreed with us to pay for your course in this way then you will have to sign a Start of Learning Agreement confirming that you have begun the course.
3. Your employer / another sponsor is paying. If your employer / sponsor is funding the course, you must complete your employer’s details in the invoice address section on the enrolment form, including a purchase order number in the payment section at the bottom. Please provide an official Purchase Order on company letterhead with your enrolment form. Payment must be received in full within 30 days of date of invoice and is subject to an 8.5% interest fee for late payment. Your certificate will not be requested until full payment has been received. Once we have received and confirmed your booking, if you fail to attend the course, your employer will still be invoiced and liable for the full course fee amount. Should you cease to be employed by the company sponsoring your course before payment has been made you must inform us immediately so that we can clarify accountability for payment.
4. Course confirmation. Discovery Learning cannot book and confirm your place on a course until we have a completed application form with associated documentation such as ID or proof of previous qualifications; plus either full payment or a deposit with proof that you have been approved for finance by Pay4Later, or an official purchase order number from an employer. If you have not received a confirmation email from us that you are booked onto the course, it is your responsibility to check that payment has reached our finance department.
5a. Data Protection. The Company seeks to use your personal data only for the purposes of legitimate interests in terms of the training courses that you have booked with us. For students, it is a condition of acceptance onto our courses that they consent to the processing of your personal data. By enrolling and accepting these terms and conditions you signify your agreement for us to hold your personal data on our systems. All students have the right to know what personal data the Company holds about you and for this to be correct. Procedures for the management of personal data are in place and enquiries may be made by contacting Discovery Learning.
5b. Personal Information. By agreeing to these terms and conditions you agree that from time to time we may need to share your personal information, along with your learning records with our educational partners YMCA Awards and Active IQ (awarding organisations) and other Educational bodies such as the organisation responsible for education and training in our sector the Chartered Institute for the Management of Sport and Physical Activity (CIMSPA). This is purely for the purpose of quality assurance and external verification of our courses.
5c. Marketing Communication – If you have opted-in to receive promos, offers or any sort of marketing communication from Discovery Learning, you e-mail address and telephone number (where applicable) will be included in a database and you will be sent occasional offers via e-mail or text. Discovery Learning will never sell or share your personal data with any other third parties for marketing purposes.
6a. Course engagement. Once you are enrolled onto the course, you will be sent an enrolment email confirming details of date time and venue, along with details on how to contact the student support team and any pre course study that is required. You will also be sent details on how to enrol onto the Online Learning Platform called Online Learning Portal. Once the log in process has been completed and access has been authorised, you are deemed to have commenced your course as course workbooks and study materials are available to you.
6b. Course duration and completion. All of our courses are subject to course duration schedules. This is to ensure the learner completes their work in a timely manner and that assessment deadlines and submission dates are adhered to. This is vital in order to support the learner to progress appropriately and to avoid learning becoming obsolete when the syllabus changes; as it frequently does. It is your responsibility that you adhere to the specified timelines. Failure to adhere to completion dates will require you to pay additional assessment fees, or may require you to re-start the course once again (and pay the full fee). Please refer to the table (Expected Completion Times) on your booking confirmation e-mail). Once booked, the course needs to be completed within 18 months (from the time of booking), otherwise it will be considered void and null and in order to complete, would have to be re-booked and paid for again.
7. Cancellations and non-attendance. By signing and returning the enrolment form you are agreeing to undertake and pay in full for your training. By using our website or enrolment/booking form or placing an order over the telephone or via email you are confirming your acceptance of our Terms and Conditions. Please note that if you are not the billing card owner, you must obtain the full permission of the cardholder before placing an order on the website or via enrolment form or over the telephone. You have the right to cancel your course booking providing you do so within 14 days of your confirmed enrolment date which will be the date and time that we received (or completed on your behalf) your enrolment form and received your initial payment. If your course falls within 14 days of your booking you will not be eligible for a refund. If your course has started you will not be eligible for a refund. Please note that in the case of cancellation there will be a cancellation fee deducted from your payment to cover the administration costs incurred by Discovery Learning. The cancellation fee will be either £50.00 (for courses priced up to £500.00 incl. VAT) or £80.00 (for all courses priced above £500.00 incl. VAT). The cancellation fee for 1 day CPD courses will be £25. If you cancel a course, you must immediately return all course books and materials to us within this time limit and these must be in the condition which they reached you or you will be charged the cost of the manuals in addition to the cancellation fee. This is required before we can make the refund. Each application for refund will take up to 14 working days to be processed. If you decide to cancel your booking after 14 days of booking NO REFUNDS ARE GIVEN and this includes circumstances such as illness or injury or for any reasons that mean you cannot attend or undertake the course. In such circumstances you may be able to transfer your course to a third party, or apply for an indefinite extension, but in these circumstances you will need the express written agreement from Discovery Learning in advance of your course. If you fail to attend and fail to inform us that you will not be attending, you will have to re-book the course and pay the full fee (minus the cost of the materials) once again. Please note, separate cancellation terms may apply if you have taken out an instalment plan via Pay4Later or Student Finance England lenders – and it is your responsibility to ensure you understand and abide by these terms as Discovery Learning cannot be held liable for non payment or late payments due to course cancellations or non-attendance. Please contact your lender separately before you cancel the course with Discovery Learning.
8. Transferring your course date. Once a course has been booked you will be expected to attend the tutorials and assessments for the dates that you have agreed. However, if you cannot attend your chosen dates for any reason and you wish to change to another date, we will arrange to reschedule you onto a future course – subject to availability of course spaces and a £120 transfer fee. If you inform us within 7 days of booking the course (your confirmed enrolment date) this transfer will be free of charge. If you do wish to transfer, it is very important that you notify us in writing (e-mail is acceptable) a minimum of 24 hours before your course attendance. Failure to notify us will result in you being recorded as a non attendee in which case you will be required to pay the full course fee again if you wish to re-book. The transfer fee for all one-day CPD courses is £30. You can only transfer a course date 3 times and until your transfer fee is paid you will not be booked onto the next course. If you cannot attend for medical reasons, providing that you produce a valid medical certificate the transfer fee may be reduced by 50% at the absolute discretion of Discovery Learning. Discovery Learning can only confirm your place on the new course after the transfer fee is paid in full.
9. Assessments. Please note that for the practical assessments you must arrive on time. Failure to be punctual may result in you losing your assessment place and require you to reschedule at an additional cost of £120 (practical) £60 (Theory). Also, Exercise to Music (ETM) students must arrange to bring two people along to the assessment day to act as class participants for the teaching demonstrations and they will be required for the full day. Part time courses such as: PT, Gym, L4 Lower Back Pain and L3 Exercise Referral must bring one subject for the practical assessment and they are likely to be required for around one and a half hours. Failure to supply assessment subjects may result in your assessment being cancelled in which case you will have to reschedule at a cost of £100. Discovery Learning can only confirm your new assessment dates after the £100.00 is paid in full.
9.a Re-sits. If you refer (fail to meet the assessment criteria) either a practical or a theory assessment you will need to arrange to re-sit. All practical reassessments are charged at £120 each and theory re-sits are charged at £60 each. You are entitled to unlimited re-sits. “If you refer an assessment you will need to re-book online or by contacting Student Support and this is the only way that you can arrange a re-sit. Please go to http://www.discovery.uk.com/resits-theory-a-practical where you will be given clear guidance on how to make the reservation. You will require a credit or debit card in order to make the booking. It is your responsibility to ensure that you have checked that the time, date and location of the re-sit is the correct one that you require. Discovery Learning can only confirm the new exam date when the applicable fee is paid in full. Non-compliance to the rules of conduct during an assessment including malpractice in any exam will result in the student’s immediate withdrawal from the exam. The student will then be subject to an additional fee to re-sit this exam. Serious malpractice may result in complete withdrawal from the course without recourse to a refund.
10. Submission of work. Where your course requires work to be submitted you are required to submit this by the date stipulated from student support. Failure to do so will mean that you will not be assessed on the designated assessment days and you will therefore incur the appropriate charge to reschedule your assessment dates.
11. Venues & dates. Discovery Learning endeavor to book quality training venues at convenient times and dates. However from time to time these may change and this may be outside of our control. Furthermore we cannot guarantee that all courses will reach the minimum numbers required to run the course, subsequently we reserve the right to reschedule or cancel the courses should this occur. Where this is the case notification will be sent to you via email and you will be entitled to a free course transfer to an alternative course date or venue (subject to availability). With this in mind we suggest that any travel or accommodation booked is flexible to allow you to transfer as we will not be liable for non-refundable travel and accommodation. Occasionally the Awarding Bodies change the course syllabus and where students have booked a long time in advance, additional time and new learning materials may be required. If the delay is not as a result of a change of dates from the original course that you booked, then Discovery will provide new materials.
12. Certificates. A students’ exam papers must be marked, internally verified and sometimes externally verified before being approved for certification. This process can take 4-6 weeks. Once it has been confirmed that a course/module can be certified, an electronic Discovery Learning certificate is usually dispatched within 2 weeks (with the exception of Active IQ courses which are certified directly by the Awarding Body only). First Aid courses are certified directly by our external supplier. The Awarding Body certificates are hard copy and usually take between 4-6 weeks to be delivered from the point they are requested by Discovery Learning. Course/module certificates will be issued to the students only after the payment for the course is received in full by Discovery Learning.
The hard copy certificates will be dispatched via recorded delivery which requires the student to sign for the letter upon delivery. The delivery address will be the same as the one given on the enrolment form. Should the delivery address change, the student will need to notify Discovery Learning in writing before their certificate is dispatched. Discovery Learning does not take the responsibility for the certificates which have not been collected by the student or returned to Discovery Learning office by post. In case of mail returns the certificates can be re-posted after the student has paid the £15.00 postage fee to Discovery Learning. Replacement certificates which need to be requested by Discovery Learning from awarding bodies will cost £25.00 per each certificate. The student will need to make the payment in full before the replacement certificate is requested.
13. Special offers. From time to time Discovery Learning may announce special offer prices to students who book the course within a certain period of time with dates defined clearly in the special offer terms. The discounted price / offer will only be valid to the students who make the full payment or pay a deposit with a confirmed finance agreement approved with Pay4Later. If the first payment does not reach Discovery Learning by the last day of the special offer the regular price of the course will apply to the student. Only one special offer will be honoured at a time. If you have purchased a course and then find that this course has subsequently been offered at a different price or incorporating different components you will not be entitled to the special offer price or course package.
14. Updates. Please always refer to the current version of Discovery Learning Terms & Conditions available on www.discovery.uk.com website or from a member of staff upon request.