A well-trimmed lawn depicts a lot about a home. However, you may also need to keep your yard tidy for the beauty of your neighborhood. To have a beautifully trimmed lawn, you require the right tools. If you have the right tools, mowing becomes simple and produces attractive results.
Additionally, choosing the best lawn mower under $500 can be hectic. There are hundreds of mower varieties in the market, but only a few are the best. For that case, we have reviewed the best budget lawn mowers capable of giving you excellent performance.
We selected the best mower you can get if you have a small budget by checking their price, versatility, durability, power, and cutting width. So whether you prefer gas mowers or electric mowers, we have the perfect one for you.
Reviews of the 10 Best Lawn Mower under $500 of 2022
1. Greenworks 25022 20 in. 3-in-1 Electric Mower
There are a lot of corded lawn mowers that cut grass attractively. However, the GreenWorks 20-Inch 12 Amp Corded Electric Lawn Mower 25022 earns top rankings because it has a compact design and a broad deck.
Additionally, the corded lawn mower has a 3-in-1 discharge system and a 7-position adjustment system, making it stand out among its competitors.
Moreover, with the 7-inch front wheels, you will easily maneuver through barriers on your lawn. Furthermore, it has a three-year warranty, which is an additional advantage. Finally, If you are looking for a budget lawn mower that will give you value for your money, you should choose the GreenWorks 25022.
- 20-inch steel deck
- 12-Amp motor
- 7-position height adjustment
- Push-button start
- Foldable handles
- 3-in-1 discharge system
- 10-inch rear wheels and 7-inch front wheels
- Warranty: 4 years
- Easy to switch the cutting setup
- Easy to push work on sloppy terrains
- Its design is compact and has foldable handles that make easy storage
- Powerful motors
- The wheels have good grips
- Large compact deck
- The 3-in-1 setup enables you to either mulch, collect grass clippings in a rear bag or side discharge
- It does not work well on tall grass. You have to pass more than once to get your desired trim
- The plastic parts make it less durable than lawn mowers made from metal
2. BLACK+DECKER CM2043C 40V Max Lithium Mower
If you are looking for the best lawn mower under $500 that is powerful and efficient, the BLACK+DECKER CM2043C is one of the best. This cordless mower is powered by two 40V max lithium-ion batteries that make it eco-friendly.
Besides, the BLACK+DECKER CM2043C Cordless Mower also has a 3-in-1 discharge system and a one-level adjustment system. The systems are vital in ensuring that you have an efficient mowing experience.
The lightweight BLACK+DECKER CM2043C Cordless Mower has a 20-inch cutting deck for fast mowing. Also, this quiet lawn mower is easy to maneuver and can cut all sizes of grass.
Although the mower has a low battery life, the other features make it an excellent tool for manicuring your lawn.
- Two 40V max lithium-ion batteries
- 3-in-1 discharge system
- One lever adjustment system the cuts between the heights of 11/2 to 4 inches
- 20 inches deck
- LCS436 charger
- Weight: 47 pounds
- 3-year warranty
- Adjustable cutting heights will ensure that you cut your lawn at your desired height
- Easy to assemble
- High performance and power
- Easy adjustment and storage
- Low battery life
3. Lawn-Boy 17732 21-Inch 6.5 Gross Torque Kohler XTX OHV
The Lawn-Boy 17732 is another best lawn mower under $500, powered by an OHV engine. This mower has a 21-inch deck making it convenient for small and medium-sized yards.
Moreover, the Lawn-Boy 17732 has a 6-Position cutting height, making it one of the most efficient budget lawnmowers.
Besides, the mower is self-propelled, making it capable of mowing hilly and uneven terrains. Also, it has a 3-in-1 discharge system, which is an innovative feature to either mulch, bag, or freely discharge grass cuttings.
Additionally, the mower is built with the CARB for the California State standards meaning that it maintains healthy air quality according to the state laws.
Lastly, with a two-year warranty, affordable price, and superior qualities, we highly recommend considering Lawn-Boy 17732.
- 2-point height adjustment system
- Kohler 149cc/6.5ft.-lbs Gross Torque/OHV engine
- Rear-wheel drive
- Changeable speed control
- 21-inch deck
- Height of Cut- 6 Position 1.25 – 3.75 inches
- 3-in-1 discharge setup
- 3-year Tru-Start Commitment
- Warranty: 2-years
- Compliant with CARB for the California State
- Easy to use, assemble
- Works well on hilly terrains
- The 3-in-1 discharge system enables you to mulch, side-discharge, or collect grass clippings in the rear bag
- The rear wheels have excellent traction
- The 6-height cut position makes it possible for you to select your grass height
- Provides a wide cutting width
- The rear bag is small
- The lawnmower does not work well on tall grass
4. Craftsman M105 140cc 21-Inch 3-in-1 Gas Powered Push Lawn Mower
The Craftsman M105 is a versatile machine that boosts a 14CC OHV gas-powered engine. The compact steel design guarantees you durability and the ability to handle rough terrains.
Besides, the mower has a dual lever adjustment system with six cutting positions to cut the desired grass height. Moreover, the 21-inch cutting path will ensure that you use less time trimming your yard.
Additionally, the mower has a 3-in-1 discharge system for you to either mulch, bag, or release the grass clippings through the deck opening.
The top-quality features make the Craftsman M105 one of the best lawn mowers under $500.
- 14CC OHV gas-powered engine
- 3-in-1 discharge system
- 21-inch cutting deck
- Dual-lever adjustment cutting height
- Durable wheels
- Adjustable loop handle
- 2-year warranty
- 6-position height adjustment system
- The adjustable cutting system allows you to choose your desired height
- Easy maneuverability
- The wheels have excellent traction
- The discharge system will enable you to either mulch, bad, or discharge the grass clippings
- The small wheel makes it hard to push through wet grass
5. Greenworks 10 Amp 16-inch Corded Mower
The GreenWorks 25142 is another cheap lawnmower from GreenWorks. This lightweight corded mower is powered by a 10-Amp motor that offers excellent mowing performance. Also, the mower has a 16-inch deck, convenient for small-sized yards.
Besides, the mower has an efficient 2-in-1 discharge system for you to either mulch or side-discharge grass clippings. Moreover, the 7-Inch rear wheel and 6-Inch front wheels ease mobility on uneven terrains and around barriers in your yard.
Additionally, the under $500 lawnmower has a 5-position height adjustment to choose the best height size for your grass.
Its versatility, convenience, and price make the GreenWorks 25142 stand out among other budget lawnmowers.
- 10-Amp motor
- 16-inch cutting deck
- 2-in-1 feature for mulching or rear discharge
- 5-position height adjustment
- 7-Inch rear wheel and 6Inch front wheels
- Excellent for small yards
- It is pre-assemble
- The materials used to construct the mower absorb all the vibration created when mowing
- The rear bag is small
- The mower is convenient for extensive gardens
- You need to purchase an extension cord as it does not come with one
- It only has a 16iinch cutting path
6. Snow Joe MJ403E lawnmower – lawn mowers
The Sun Joe MJ403E Mow Joe has the sleekest design on the market. The 13-Amp powered corded lawn mower combines with the 17-inch cutting path to give your yard clean trims.
Additionally, the Sun Joe MJ403E Mow Joe lightweight design makes it easy for you to maneuver around your yard. This budget mower also has a 7-height control system from which you can select the best cutting height for your grass.
We know how tiresome it is to use the starter cords. The Sun Joe MJ403E Mow Joe power button starter takes away the hassle of using the traditional cord starters.
Moreover, you can also mow your yard very early in the morning or late in the evening without disturbing your neighbors as it is very quiet.
Lastly, with the 2-in-1 mowing and side discharge function, you can either mulch or collect grass clippings from your yard. The top-notch features make the Sun Joe MJ403E Mow Joe one of the best lawn mowers under $500.
- 13-Amp motor
- 17-Inch cutting path
- 7-position height control
- 2-in-1 mulching and mowing functions
- Grass collector bag
- Start button
- Warranty: 3 years
- It is equipped with a start button which is better than the traditional starter cords
- It is lightweight
- High workability
- Low noise levels
- It has a three-year warranty
- It has an adjustable height control system that enables you to cut grass at its desired height.
- Has small wheels
7. WORX WG779 40V Power Share 4.0 Ah 14″ Lawn Mower
WORX WG779 mower is a top-notch powerful mower under $500 that can easily take on any terrain and grass. The mower uses Dual 20V power share batteries delivering 40V with a run time of 45 to 55 minutes.
Moreover, the budget lawn mower uses a single-lever adjustment system, and you can choose between three cutting heights. Besides, this mower has a 2-in-1 rear discharge system with which you can either mulch or side discharge the grass clippings.
Further, the WORX WG779 handles are well foamed to absorb vibrations as you mow through your yard.
Finally, the mower has a two-year warranty and a fair price, making it one of the best budget lawnmowers. If you are looking for a cheap and versatile lawnmower, you should opt for the WORX WG779.
- Dual 20V power share batteries that deliver a maximum of power and performance of 40V
- Patented intelligent technology
- Foam padded handles
- Single lever adjustment system
- It has a dual-port charger
- Battery power level indicators
- 2-in-1 rear discharge for bagging and mulching
- 2-speed control
- Weight: 38.4 pounds
- Free run time 45-55 minutes
- The 2-in-1 discharge system enables you to either select between mulching and bagging grass clippings
- The 3-cutting heights will allow you to cut grass at your desired height
- The two batteries are interchangeable with other WORKS electric types of machinery
- The lawnmower is of outstanding quality
- It does not work well on tough grass
8. Yard Machines 140cc 20-Inch Push Mower
A highly-powered Yard Machines 140cc 20-Inch Push Mower has unmatched mowing performance. This lightweight mower is designed to last and mow your lawn, no matter the condition of the grass or the terrain.
In addition, the Yard Machine features an adjustable 3-cutting lever to cut between the heights of 1.25 to 2.75 inches. Besides, the 7-inch front and rear wheels make it easy to maneuver through barriers on your lawn.
Finally, with the two-year warranty, the Yard Machines 140cc 20-Inch Push Mower can easily be considered the best lawn mower under $500 on the market.
- 20-inch side discharge cutting deck
- Adjustable height from 1.25 to 2.75 inches
- 3-cutting height positions
- 7-inch wheels on the front and rear wheels
- 2-in-1 discharge system
- Weight: 48 pounds
- Warranty: 2-years
- The 20-inch cutting deck ensures that you mow your yard fast
- The wheels ease mobility
- The adjustable cutting height gives you a choice of the height to mow your lawn
- Easy to assemble
- Not durable
9. American Lawn Mower Company 50514
The American Lawn Mower Company 505114 is easily one of the best lawn mowers under $500. It comes with an 11-amp high-frequency motor that easily handles all varieties of grasses on smooth and rough terrains.
Additionally, the mower has a narrow cutting width of 14-inches, making it suitable for a small-sized yard. Furthermore, it also combines a 5-position single-lever adjustment system that cuts your desired grass height.
Moreover, it is very easy to maneuver this machine as it comes with 10-inch rear wheels and 7-inch front wheels. Lastly, the 2-in-1 discharge system, the American Lawn Mower Company 505114, is a robust, versatile, and cheap lawn mower in the market.
- 11-Amp motor
- 14 inches cutting width
- 5-position adjustment system
- Multiple handle height positions
- 2-in-1 discharge and mulching system
- 16-gallon grass bag with grass level indicator
- Weight: 20 pounds
- Warranty: 90 days
- Easy to switch between the five cutting modes
- The wheels offer easy maneuverability through various terrains
- Easily cuts thick grass
- The design provides a balanced body
- It takes time to assemble the lawnmower
10. Poulan Pro 961120131 PR500N21SH Briggs 500ex Side Discharge
Featuring the 140cc Briggs & Stratton engine, the push lawn mower has excellent performance and power for its price. In addition, the Poulan Pro PR500N21SH has a broad 21-inch cutting width ideal for small and medium-size yards.
In addition to the broad cutting path, the mower has a 2-in-1 discharge system, making it a serious competitor.
Moreover, the mower has an excellent setup of wheels to maneuver through rough terrains easily. Finally, the mower has cushioned handles to ensure that you comfortably enjoy mowing your yard.
- 21-inch 2-in-1 cutting deck
- 140cc Briggs and Stratton engine
- High rear wheels
- 2-in-1 side discharge
- 2-year warranty
- Weight: 28 pounds
- The 21-inch and the 2-in-1 cutting deck reduces the time taken to mow
- The wide rear wheels ensure that there is easy maneuverability through any terrain
- The 2-in-1 discharge system allows you to either collect the grass clippings or mulch your lawn
- Powerful engine
- It has a stylish design
- The mulching system is inefficient.
Factors to consider before buying the best lawn mower under $500
- Size of your yard
Even though you have a limited budget, you should also check the size of the yard that you need to mow. For example, you should probably select a petrol push lawn mower for a large garden as electric mowers only work well in small yards.
- Cutting width
Along with the size of the yard, you should check the cutting width of a mower before purchasing it. The reason is that the cutting width determines the time you will take mowing. The wider the cutting width, the less time you will spend mowing.
- Cutting height
Cutting height determines the height you opt to cut your grass. The mowers reviewed have an adjustable cutting height system for you to mow at your preferred grass height.
- Grass bag
You should check if you need the grass bag to collect the side-discharge grass clippings. You should also check the size of the grass bag and if it is compatible with your lawnmower.
You should check the discharge system to determine if the mower you are about to purchase has mulching capabilities. It is vital as a mulching system cuts grass clippings into small pieces added back to the lawn to act as mulch.
The cost of lawnmowers determines the one that you will choose. Therefore, we have selected the most cost-effective lawn mowers so that you do not have to spend much cash acquiring one.
You have to check the materials used to construct a lawnmower. The materials determine if the lawnmower can withstand wear and tear.
Moreover, if a lawnmower is built using light and weak materials, you may soon be back on the market. For example, a steel mower is more durable than a mower made of plastic parts.
Whenever you buy a product, you should select the one that gives you the best warranty. For example, although you are required to handle the lawnmower with care, you should choose a mower that covers cases of accidents.
In addition, a good warranty deal covers such accidents for long periods. Therefore, we recommend that you check the warranty details before purchasing the best cheap lawnmower.
We recommend that you select a mower that is easy to maintain. It would help if you also considered the availability of spare parts before purchasing a lawnmower.
How to take care of your budget lawn mower
- Frequently check the air filter to ensure it does not let dirt and grass debris into the carburetor.
- Change your lawn mower’s oil frequently. We recommend that you change the oil after two days of use.
- Always use clean and fresh fuel.
- Clean the oil stains using a degreaser
- Check the blades frequently. You can replace or sharpen blunt blades.
- After every mowing season, we recommend that you clean the fuel cap to avoid any blockages.
3 Reasons why your lawn mower will not start
If your lawnmower doesn’t start, it may be more straightforward to fix than you think. There are three reasons why your lawnmower won’t start:
You might notice that your engine is not running normally. If the spark plug becomes faulty, it may cause much damage to your engine. Besides, if the spark plugs porcelain has cracks, has a lot of carbon, or the electrode is worn out, you should consider replacing it.
Furthermore, if your mower has a faulty spark plug, you will likely note slow acceleration, misfires, and difficulties starting the mower.
Additionally, you can know if the spark plug is defective by testing it using a tester. In case there is no spark in the tester, we recommend that you replace your spark plug.
A faulty carburetor reduces the performance of a lawnmower significantly. If you see the following symptoms, you should consider taking your lawnmower for a maintenance check.
- Reduced engine performance
- Black smoke
- Hard starting
Besides, grass debris and dust often clog the carburetor. Therefore, we recommend that you clean your carburetor using a carburetor cleaner, and if the symptoms continue, you should consider replacing it.
If your mower is cordless, you need to replace the battery at least twice a year. If the mower is not starting, we recommend that you check the fuse before checking other wiring problems.
How do I select the best lawn mower under $500?
You should consider the above factors before purchasing a budget lawnmower. Moreover, you should also keep in mind the size of your yard and the features that you need in a mower.
How often should I mow my grass?
If you want the grass on your lawn to grow evenly, we recommend that you frequently mow at regular intervals. In addition, the season also determines how frequently you should mow your lawn.
Where do I repair my lawnmower?
You should check with your local workshops that offer lawn mower maintenance services.
Are there eco-friendly best lawn mowers under $500?
There are eco-friendly lawn mowers available at a fair price. If you are looking for an eco-friendly lawnmower, you should opt for corded and cordless lawn mowers as they are quiet and do not produce carbon emissions.
Where do I sharpen my lawnmower blades?
We recommend checking with your local maintenance services for sharpening services. Furthermore, you can also purchase a blade sharpener.
Providing power, efficiency, and durability, these are undisputedly the best lawn mowers under $500 that you will find in the market. The reviewed mowers give you a comfortable and fast mowing experience and an outstandingly beautiful trim.
Moreover, with the top-not features and low prices, you should consider getting one for your yard. Thank you for going through our reviews, and we hope you will enjoy your new machine.