Personal Trainer Salary In The UK – How Much Do They Make?

[UPDATED 27 JUNE 2017] The job of personal trainer can be very lucrative for those who work hard and do well. Everyone who’s interested in a career as a personal trainer wants to know about the potential financial rewards, so here we talk in detail about what personal trainers can expect to earn and what industry factors and career decisions will most affect their income…


What is the average personal trainer salary in the UK?

This is a question we hear a lot, but it’s one that’s very difficult to give a general answer to. It’s much easier to analyse the earning power of different types of personal trainer separately.

Almost all personal trainers in the UK will work in one of the following three capacities:

1) Freelancer in a club

2) Employed by a club

3) Self-employed independent


1) Freelancer in a club

This refers to personal trainers who work for themselves, but operate within a health club, gym, leisure centre, or some kind of fitness establishment like a Fitness First club.

Under this type of arrangement, they pay rent to the club to use its facilities, but must secure their own clients from among the club’s members.

The money trainers can earn working in this capacity varies a lot depending on the establishment they are set up in and the people who go to it. Trainers freelancing in clubs with good reputations in affluent areas can earn around £40 to £60k a year. Although the rent in good clubs can be as high as £1k a month.

But it also depends on how hard and how many hours a trainer works, and how many clients they attract within the establishments they’re based in.

Most newly qualified personal trainers begin their careers working in this capacity, and sadly, a lot of them give up on their fitness careers because they’ve started with unrealistic expectations of earnings and get discouraged when they don’t make a great deal in their first year.

View the current offer for our accredited Level 3 Personal Trainer Diploma >>

We advise all of our personal trainer course graduates to view their first 12-18 months as an apprenticeship period and accept the fact that they’ll probably end up making only £14 to £18k a year freelancing in a club (after rent), unless they’re fortunate enough to start out with existing connections in the industry or some other advantage.

Better opportunities will present themselves as they advance through their careers if they are willing to work hard. They’ll get better at enticing clients, learn more skills and improve as trainers, and find openings at more upmarket fitness clubs.

Personal trainers working in this capacity are in competition with other personal trainers in the establishment they’re based in. For this reason, we advise anyone freelancing in clubs to look closely at the ratio of trainers to members in any particular club before applying to join.

Some places unfortunately open their doors to as many trainers as possible to collect the monthly fees without caring about how difficult they’re making it for the trainers to get enough clients to earn a decent income.

If we had to give a good rule-of-thumb, we’d say that there should be no more than 2 or 3 trainers for every 1000 members in a fitness club. Although for more high-end clubs, this ratio can be considerably higher and there will still be plenty of clients for everyone.


2) Employed by a club

Some personal trainers are actually employed directly by fitness clubs instead of just being based in them, and earn an income on a PAYE (pay-as-you-earn) basis. Such trainers do not only secure their own clients; they may also be referred clients by the club they are employed in.

Our organization makes a broad estimate that only about 10% of personal trainers work in this capacity. Those that do normally earn about £24 to £28k a year, but this can be significantly higher for trainers employed by more high-end establishments.

Some personal trainers spend their careers working for chains of health establishments. They might start out working for one of their lesser branches and as they gain more experience get transferred to more established centres in more prominent locations and get paid higher.

In addition to one-on-one personal training, trainers employed by a club will often be given other tasks to do within the club, such as running group fitness classes or circuit training sessions. Such things give trainers an opportunity to advertise themselves to potential clients – people who enjoy a trainer’s classes are more likely to hire that trainer for personal training.

Examples of fitness club chains that directly employ their own personal trainers include David Lloyd, Nuffield and Virgin.


3) Self-employed independent

Like the freelancers in clubs, self-employed, independent personal trainers are in business for themselves and so have to find their own clients, but are generally different in that they don’t base their business upon the support of affiliated health clubs and obtain clients through their own means.

These trainers are the higher-risk, higher-reward entrepreneurs of the personal training industry. There is no limit on how much they can earn or how successful they can become. Most trainers who operate like this have previously accumulated years of experience working in fitness clubs.

The most prosperous independent personal trainers earn six-figure sums and run their own personal training franchises, often employing other personal trainers to work for them so they can take on very many clients. London personal trainer Matt Roberts is an example of this.

Those who fall short of that sort of level can still earn a lot of money and have great careers working in this capacity.

Of course, some who go down this route sadly fail and go out of business. This usually happens when people set themselves up like this without having enough clients to sustain an income or when they don’t learn how to market themselves and run a business properly.

All the most successful independent personal trainers got to where they are by understanding business and marketing in addition to fitness and exercise.

View the current offer for our accredited Level 3 Personal Trainer Diploma >>

Another reason why top independent personal trainers make a lot of money is because they usually have several different income streams. They will all do one-on-one fitness training, but they also tend to do things like running group fitness classes, selling fitness products on their websites, or promotional work for media projects.

Many independent personal trainers also run group fitness classes

Many independent personal trainers also run group fitness classes

Something else quiet common among the highest earning personal trainers is they have very broad ranges of skills and expertise. Any decent personal trainer can go running with their clients or do a bit of boxing pad-work, but there are far more specialist areas of health and fitness that different clients will require.

Trainers qualified in sports massage therapy can rehabilitate their clients from injuries, while those who have studied nutrition and obesity can provide diet and weight management services. Those who can do strength and sports conditioning can get work at sports clubs devising exercise programs for entire sports teams.

Then you’ve got back pain management, pre and post natal exercise, child development exercise, diabetes management, and many others. A personal trainer’s earning potential increases with their skill-set.

Check if you would make a good Personal Trainer!

Start our quiz and learn if you have a potential of becoming a successful PT. Only 7 questions - it takes less than 3 minutes to do it.

Thank you. Please check your email for a link to our quiz


How can I maximize my earning potential as a personal trainer?

We hope that we’ve encouraged you by talking about the potential rewards that exist in the personal trainer business for those willing to work hard and make a go of it.

If you want to keep learning about how to maximize your earning potential as a personal trainer and forge the best career possible for yourself, then we have lots of additional information and resources to help you with that.

How to setup a personal trainer website

To see everything we have to offer that can help your career, check out our amazing fitness resources center.

You might also be interested in taking our business and marketing course, which will teach you all the critical skills you will need to run your own business in the modern fitness industry.


Thanks for reading. If you have any questions, please feel free to leave a comment below. If you found this article useful, why not share it with your friends and help inform others?


  1. Garrick Baylie says

    Good morning. I am from the US and plan to eventually move to the UK by the end of 2015. I am currently certified in the states through the American Council of Exercise. Would a certification like mine be valid in the UK or would I have to recertify in England?
    Thank you for taking the time to read my email. Have a good day.

    • says

      Hi there Garrick

      In the UK there are two certificates that are recognised on the Register of Exercise Professionals (REPs) and you will need to be eligible for registration in order to get work in the UK or to get insurance to practice as a freelance self employed PT. They are: ACSM American college of Sports Medicine and NASM National Association of Sports Medicine. If either of these certificates applies to you then you are OK. If not it looks to me like you may have to undergo the full course here in the UK. Discovery Learning are a leading provider of such courses and among the most cost effective, so why not give us a call if you do need to retrain?

      Thanks for the inquiry. Have a good day.

    • Mike says

      Yess..ACE is accepted in Europe as Level 4 Personal trainer..but be good in your job first…all others is easy…
      Good Luck

  2. Adrion says

    These days most of us are choosing a carrier as a personal trainer either full time or part time. There are so many options for them. They can also get a clear idea about the salary from this blog.

  3. Soroceanu Paul says

    I am from Romania and next year I’ll finish my college degree at the Sports University Bucharest with the specialization “Fitness” . Can I use that degree to work in UK ?

    Thank you for taking the time to read my email. Have a good day!

    • Discovery Learning says

      While your degree will of course be highly relevant to personal training, in order to work as a personal trainer in the United Kingdom you would need a personal training qualification from a UK training provider or a US or EU qualification that is recognized in the UK. Without a recognized qualification you won’t be able to get personal trainer insurance.

  4. George says

    Hello I’m George, I’m 16 and I live in the UK. I’m thinking of making a career in personal training when I’m older. I’m starting college soon but I need a bit of advice. Should I go to a college which is specific to personal training or any normal college and take a course in sports?? I’d really appreciate if you can give me some advice on the best path to take. Thanks for taking your time to read this.

    • Discovery Learning says

      Hi George. We recommend that when you go to College you take a sports related course that you think you would enjoy and which you think would be helpful to your general development. It won’t make any difference to your path to qualifying as a personal trainer later on in life. Or if you want you can postpone College and start training to be a personal trainer immediately if you can afford to.

  5. Kegan says

    I have BsC in sports science from ukzn South Africa(3 year degree) and 6 years personal training experience at Virgin active SA, will I need further accreditation to train in the UK?

    • Discovery Learning says

      There are no laws that prevent you from working as a personal trainer in the United Kingdom, but if you haven’t done a personal trainer qualification that is recognized over here, you won’t be able to get personal trainer insurance or join any professional registries. Your degree in sports science and personal training experience in South Africa will certainly be useful in your career, but by themselves they will not make you a qualified personal trainer in the UK.

      • ombas stefan says

        hello,my name is Stefan Ombas ,i am from Romania and i got my personal trainer and fitness instructor graduation with EU recognition. Will i be able to get a job in London if am willing to relocate and work there?

        • Discovery Learning says

          There is no law to prevent you from working as a personal trainer in London or anywhere else in the United Kingdom, but you won’t be able to get professional insurance if you haven’t completed a personal training course here in the UK.

  6. Leanne says

    Great information! Can I ask, I’m currently overweight but my ambition is to be a personal trainer and more!!! I want to help others through the hard journey I’m going through. In the mean time i want to gain some qualification in nutrition, obesity and exercise but I feel my weights holding me back. Can you possibly recommend any courses I can do in the mean time? Many thanks.

  7. Yasmeen says

    I’m thinking of doing A level 2&3 personal and fitness training course at a gym which i will be paying £1000 they said, after i am qualified I’m guaranteed a job as a freelancer being a single mother of two children 4/6 will that mean I will have work many hours? Plus I am already a black belt in tae kwon do so in thinking of getting bck into shape do that I can teach Tkd and also fitness classes will I earn money if I become a PT part time?

    • Discovery Learning says

      As a freelance personal trainer you can work as many or as few hours as you want. How much money you will earn will depend mainly on the number of hours you work and on the price you charge per hour. You will have to work out how much money you will need to earn to sustain your business, then estimate whether you will be able to work enough hours to earn that amount.

    • Discovery Learning says

      In order to enroll on a UK personal trainer course, you must first have a level 2 gym instructor course. You can cake both qualifications one after the other or both at once with one of our combined packages. Come to the UK, take those two courses together or separately, and you will be a certified UK personal trainer.

  8. says

    I am a qualified personal trainer from IFBB which is an ,nternatonally recognise organisation and they have a office here in UK too. Do you thing will this be qualified as a personal trainer certficate.

    • Discovery Learning says

      I would approach insurance companies and try to get insurance cover as a personal trainer and see what they say. Technically anyone can work as a personal trainer in the UK, it’s just that people without valid qualifications can’t get insurance. If you can get insurance, you should be fine to start training clients over here.

      • David says

        Hi There

        I am also considering Pt training later at level 2 and so on can I have your advice please working in a gym setting.

        What’s your advice on learning all the reps classes and moving onto Pt ?

        K Regards Dave

        • Discovery Learning says

          Sorry it’s not entirely clear what you’re asking us there. To become a personal trainer, you need to have gained a Level 2 Gym Instructor qualification and a Level 3 Personal Trainer qualification. If you don’t have either of them yet, try and do them both together. If you already have the level 2 qualification, you can go straight on to studying for the level 3. You should give this number – 0208 543 1017 – a call and speak to a member of our advice team.

  9. marie says

    Hi. I started out as a personal trainer in March in a great club, but panicked at the thought of paying the 1 k rent and also having the confidence to approach people. Have you got any tips for me?

  10. David says

    I intend to be a personal trainer after I retire from my university lecturer job, but I am concerned about the number of sites where conflicting information suggests that as a career its not a good option? In addition (and I know success is down to hard work/how much I want to do it etc.-been there/done that in several successful careers), what specialisation would you recommend as I don’t wish to be yet another generalist P/T.
    I am in my 60’s though I am fit (ex-army/ultra runner), and thought I might go for the ‘older client’ specialism but it seems there is a saturation point here too?!
    I really don’t want to waste my time or money training for something that is already on the wane so I would be grateful for any advice!

    • Discovery Learning says

      You might want to consider becoming a personal trainer who specializes in “special populations” such as old people with chronic health issues that get referred to personal trainers by GPs.

  11. Fabio Carreira says


    My name is Fabio and I am recent graduate of sports science by University of Lisbon. Do I qualified to work as a PT in UK?

    Thank you in advance for your consideration and time

    • Discovery Learning says

      Anyone can legally work as a personal trainer in the United Kingdom, but only people with a recognized qualification can get personal trainer insurance. Your sports science degree will not count as a recognized qualification. You would have to do a personal trainer course here in the UK.

  12. Everney says

    I am very interesting on became a personal trainer but I am 45.
    I have been trainning at the GYM about 18 years as a bodybuilder. What you think?
    Do I have a chance to grow in this industry?

    • Discovery Learning says

      Certainly you have a chance to grow in this industry. You’re never too old to learn. We’ve had plenty of students in the past who were in their forties and went on to become successful personal trainers.

  13. Sarah says

    Hi I’m very interested in becoming a personal trainer and I currently living in the UK.

    i’m 21 years old, I have a science GCSE and studied sports and performance here in the UK at college. I also have health and social care Diploma qualifications that go up to a level 3.

    How would I venture into pursuing this dream. As I want to run my own business as an end goal?

    • Discovery Learning says

      To be a personal trainer, you first need a level 2 gym instructor qualification, then you need a level 3 personal trainer qualification. You can get these individually or both together from us or any of the other major UK providers. Once you have both of these qualifications you’re good to go.

  14. KYLE LAZARUS says

    Hi my name is Kyle Lazarus, i am 16 and live in the UK. I know and have known for a very long time now that personal training is what i want to do as a profession. I am leaving secondary school soon and entering collage and was curious to know what the best subjects would be for me to study or if trying an apprenticeship would be the best option for me. If anyone could answer i would very grateful. Thank you.

    • Discovery Learning says

      Hi Kyle. You don’t need to go to college to become a personal trainer. Our personal trainer courses are open to anyone aged 16 or above. If you want, you can sign up to our scholarship program and get a free level 2 gym instructor course, if you can convince the school you’re currently at to participate in the program. You should give us a call and talk to one of our advisers about how we can help you become a personal trainer: 0208 543 1017

  15. Joe says


    I currently have a gym contained within an outbuilding on my property. I was wondering whether this would be attractive to self-employed personal trainers? All the equipment is of a commercial standard and it has pretty much everything you could want. I would also be able to charge substantially less than the big gyms making it mutually beneficial.

    What do you think?


    • Discovery Learning says

      Does it have a changing room with a bathroom and shower? If so, then yes you should try renting it out to personal trainers and see what happens.

    • Discovery Learning says

      Sometimes it can be a double edged sword, because while London certainly has more health clubs and more people looking for personal trainers than anywhere else in the UK, sometimes the fact that there are less personal trainers, so less competition, in other locations makes it easier for new trainers to get off the ground and get clients. I would say move to London, but make sure you base yourself in a fitness establishment where the ratio of personal trainers to potential clients is low.

  16. Eleni Papa says

    I have a Bachelor’s degree from the Department of Physical Education and Sports Science,
    Aristotle University of Thessaloniki in Greece, UEFA B Coaching Licence, TRX Suspension Training L1, TRX Sports Medicine Suspension Training L2, Aquatic Therapy, and BLS/AED provider course by European Resuscitation Counsil certificates with 8 years of experience.
    Can I work as a personal trainer in the UK?

    Thank you

    • Discovery Learning says

      Technically anyone can work as a personal trainer in the UK, but anyone who does this should get insurance cover first, so that they are covered in case anyone under their care is injured and files a claim against them. If you can find a provider to insure you, you can set yourself up as a freelance personal trainer operating on your own. If you want to base yourself in a health and fitness establishment, however, you might not be able to find one that will let you work there unless you’ve done a recognized UK personal trainer course.

  17. sam says

    I’m currently studying and close to completing my level 3 in PT training which also involves nutrition,fitness instruction and cycle class instruction all recognised reps qualifications. This is a follow on to the level 2 fitness instruction and pt training I already have. I also already hold lifeguard qualifications. Am I on the right path to a successful career or is there anything else you could recommend to boost my potential in the future ?
    Thanks Sam

    • Discovery Learning says

      What you have sounds good, definitely stuff you can build a career on. If you want to take it further however, you might like to think about a Level 4 Master Personal Trainer qualification. These teach advanced knowledge and skills beyond the Level 3 Personal Trainer Courses. You can specialize in something like lower back pain or obesity and make yourself qualified to train what are called “special populations”, which means clients with specific medical issues.

  18. Paul Armitage says

    hi, I live in the UK, I’m currently a mature student, studying a foundation degree in sports coaching, I have a sports science national diploma and sports & recreation NVQ1, plus Community sports leaders award (from 2001), I hold a level one boxing qualification and actively coach boxing twice a week to beginners (a years experience) I’m gradually gaining interest in the industry would I need a personal trainers qualifications to be a PT? I’m interested in free lance as well as being in a gym (I think)

    • Discovery Learning says

      There’s technically nothing to stop you from becoming a personal trainer now, but you need a level 3 personal trainer qualification in order to get a placement in a fitness establishment, or to get insurance, and it would be very risky of you to operate without insurance because you would then be liable if anyone you were training got injured somehow.

  19. Szalome says


    I`m a Hungarian and I`m planing to move to the UK. If I want to be a personal trainer what should I study to be certified and get a job there?
    Is there any online course?
    I would really appreciate your reply. Thank you!

    • Discovery Learning says

      Hi. You need a REPs accredited Level 3 Personal Trainer Certificate. And if you don’t have one yet, you’ll also need a Level 2 Gym Instructor Certificate. We provide both of these courses in a combined course package. We also give you the option to do your course online if that’s easier. If you’d like more information, you can email or phone our course advisers: 0208 543 1017

  20. says

    Hi, I’m a gym instructor in a small town Gym in Kalimpong – district of Darjeeling – India . I’ve been a trainer for 2 years now but have learned everything off my personal coach and instructor who’s been in this practice for the last 20years. I plan to move to the UK in a years time and would like to pursue my passion in fitness and helping others get fit and health. What would you recommend be a good institute or club to join where I can get certified but also able to work as an instructor while I certify ?
    I would be completely new to the country although I have family in the Uk but would need to work and support myself so I’m looking to plan now to make my move smooth.
    Any advice would be appreciated . Thanks

    • Discovery Learning says

      I don’t think you’ll be able to work as a fitness instructor in the UK while you get certified as a personal trainer unless you already possess a Level 2 Gym Instructor Certificate from an accredited UK course provider.

  21. Rossana Carvalho says

    my boyfriend and I are moving to London at the end of the year and he wants to pursue a career as a PT since fitness is his big passion, he is also a bodybuilder and lover of all kinds of sports. after some research, we understand now that he will need the level 2 gym instructor and level 3 PT certificate. however we would like to know if the payment for both courses are in full and if not how would that work. Also, does he need any special visa to attend the course as he is not a EU citizen. and lastly, the last date listed on the website for the level 3 PT certificate is the 1st December, will you have another date in late December or early January?


  22. Liam says

    Hello, my name is Liam, I am 17 years old and currently in doing an apprenticeship in leisure operations, (in currently a lifeguard). I was wondering if I should finish the 14 month course, of which I am currently 2 months into, or if I should try and become a personal trainer now? And as I’m only 17 how long do you reckon it would take me to complete the nessecary courses to be a fully qualified personal trainer and would you know how much it would all cost?
    Thank you very much for any information you can give me!

    • Discovery Learning says

      Hi Liam. The amount of time it would take you to complete a personal trainer course has nothing to do with your age. Our full-time study option will get you qualified in a month. If you take our online study option, you can study at your own pace and sit the final exam as soon as you are ready. You should call our advisory team and ask them to give you an idea about cost: 0208 543 1017

  23. Jao says

    I am a Thai citizen, currently studying in a uni in london. I was thinking becoming a personal trainer, but am worried about getting jobs. I would need to be employed, or have a contract to be able to get my work visa. (freelancing is not an option). Is this a problem? How hard is it to get jobs as personal trainer?

    • Discovery Learning says

      It’s difficult to say because we don’t know how well you would come across to prospective employers in interview situations. If you do your training with us, that might give you an advantage if you apply for work with Virgin Active, as they are a leisure company with whom we have close ties.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *