Discovery Learning Terms & Conditions
Discovery Learning Terms & Conditions
Please be sure to read these terms and conditions in full before enrolling on your course, and call and speak to a member of Discovery staff if you need more information. This does not affect your statutory rights.
1. Course selection. Select the course that you require and please speak to a Discovery staff member to assist you if you require career or professional advice to ensure that you are selecting the right course for you. Then you should complete our enrolment form in full, paying particular attention to the required fields and send it to our office via post, fax or e-mail. If you omit a required field it may delay your application. In case you decide to submit your details over the phone to a member of Discovery Learning team who will fill the enrolment form for you –Discovery Learning Terms & Conditions apply to your booking entirely.
2. If you are paying. If you are funding the course yourself, you will be required to forward the full amount for the course to secure your place on the course. Full payment must be received via the credit*/debit card, bank transfer or cheque. If a cheque is returned to us from the bank, there will be a £20 administration and bank charge fee applicable and you will have to use another form of payment. Prices are subject to change from time to time, however you will be charged the price that is currently advertised or that which has been agreed with you.
2a. Payment by instalments. Some of the more expensive courses are eligible for payment by monthly instalments. If you have agreed with us to pay in this way then you will have to arrange a Recurring Payment Agreement for the amount and number of instalments stated in the Discovery Learning payment plan (depending upon the course of your choice). There is a 7.5% (for 2, 3, 4 months plans) or 12.5% (for 6, 8, 12 months plans) interest charge applicable to payments by instalments option. The first instalment needs to be dated for the day that you are sending your application into us and then your payments will be set to the 1st or the 15th of each month whichever you prefer. All instalments must be paid and cleared before your certificate will be requested. Students applying for 6, 8 12 months payment plans (credits over £700) will be subjected to consumer credit check procedure and there will be a £10 charge to cover the cost of this.
3. Your employer / another sponsor is paying. If your employer / sponsor is funding the course, you must complete your employer's details in the invoice address section on the enrolment form, including a purchase order number in the payment section at the bottom. Payment must be received in full before your certificate will be requested. Once we have received and confirmed your booking, if you fail to attend the course, your employer will still be invoiced and liable for the full course fee amount.
4. Overdue payment and attendance. Discovery Learning reserves the right to disallow a student from attending a course if there are outstanding or overdue payments on their account. Any outstanding payments must be cleared before any attendance and this will be strictly applied. Students who fail to settle overdue payments after 2 written reminders (letters, or emails) will be automatically passed to Credit Protection Association to commence a legal debt recovery procedure.
5. Course confirmation. Discovery Learning cannot book and confirm your place on a course until we have a completed application form and full payment or a payment plan arranged by Recurring Payment Agreement or an official purchase order number from an employer. If you have not received confirmation letter from us that you are booked onto the course, it is your responsibility to check that payment has reached our finance department.
6. Course engagement. Once you are enrolled onto the course, you will be sent your course workbooks and study materials, along with details of tutor and student support. You will also be given all the information that you need for attending the tutorials and assessments. Having received the manual, the Student should contact the Student Support team in order to receive introductory information regarding the learning process.
7. Cancellations & non attendance. By signing and returning the enrolment form you are agreeing to undertake and pay in full for your training. By using our website or enrolment/booking form or placing an order over the telephone or via email you are confirming your acceptance of our Terms and Conditions. Please note that if you are not the billing card owner, you must obtain the full permission of the cardholder before placing an order on the website or via enrolment form or over the telephone. You have the right to cancel your booking providing you do so within 48 hours of your confirmed enrolment date which will be the date and time that we received both your enrolment form and initial payment. If your course falls within 48 hours of your booking you will not be eligible for a refund. Please note that in the case of cancellation there will be a cancellation fee deducted from your payment to cover the administration costs incurred by Discovery Learning. The cancellation fee will be either £50.00 (for courses priced up to £500.00 incl. VAT) or £80.00 (for all courses priced above £500.00 incl. VAT). Cancellation fee for 1 day CPD courses will be £25. If you cancel a course, you must immediately return all course books and materials to us within this time limit and these must be in the condition which they reached you. This is required before we can make the refund. If you wish to cancel your booking after this 48 hours period NO REFUNDS ARE GIVEN. If you fail to attend and fail to inform us that you will not be attending, you will have to re-book the course and pay the full fee (minus the cost of the materials) once again. If you fail to attend a course and have outstanding payments you will be still be required to pay in full. If you are unable to attend a course because of a serious medical condition – a maximum of 50% paid fee may be refunded at the absolute discretion of Discovery Learning. In this case valid medical evidence must be provided together with the refund application. Each application for refund will take up to 14 working days to be processed. In the event of valid cancellation within 2 days if a recurring payment plan has been set up, Discovery Learning reserves the right to deduct the second instalment for which will then be refunded to the customer’s card once received. This is due to the arrangement between Discovery Learning and merchant services provider.
8. Transferring your course date. Once a course has been booked you will be expected to attend the tutorials and assessments for the dates that you have agreed. However, if you cannot attend your chosen dates for any reason and you wish to change to another date, we will arrange to reschedule you onto a future course – subject to availability of course spaces and a £100 transfer fee. If you inform us within 7 days of booking the course (your confirmed enrolment date) this transfer will be free of charge. If you do wish to transfer, it is very important that you notify us in writing (e-mail is acceptable) a minimum of 24 hours before your course attendance. Failure to notify us will result in you being recorded as a non attendee in which case you will be required to pay the full course fee again if you wish to re-book. The transfer fee for all one-day CPD courses is £50. You can only transfer a course date 3 times and until your transfer fee is paid you will not be booked onto the next course. If you cannot attend for medical reasons, providing that you produce a valid medical certificate the transfer fee may be reduced by 50% at the absolute discretion of Discovery Learning. Discovery Learning can only confirm your place on the new course after the transfer fee is paid in full.
9. Assessments. Please note that for the practical assessments you must arrive on time. Failure to be punctual may result in you losing your assessment place and require you to reschedule at an additional cost of £100 (practical) £50 (Theory). Also, Exercise to Music (ETM) students must arrange to bring two people along to the assessment day to act as class participants for the teaching demonstrations and they will be required for the full day. PT and Gym students must bring one subject for the practical assessment and they are likely to be required for around one and a half hours. Failure to supply assessment subjects may result in your assessment being cancelled in which case you will have to reschedule at a cost of £100. Discovery Learning can only confirm your new assessment dates after the £100.00 is paid in full.
9.a Re-sits. If you refer (fail to meet the assessment criteria) either a practical or a theory assessment you will need to arrange to re-sit. All practical reassessments are charged at £100.00 each and theory re-sits are charged at £50 each. You are entitled to unlimited re-sits. “If you refer an assessment you will need to re-book online and this is the only way that you can arrange a re-sit. Please go to http://www.discovery.uk.com/resits-theory-a-practical where you will be given clear guidance on how to make the reservation. You will require a credit or debit card in order to make the booking. It is your responsibility to ensure that you have checked that the time, date and location of the re-sit is the correct one that you require. Discovery Learning can only confirm the new exam date when the applicable fee is paid in full. Non-compliance to the rules of conduct during an assessment including malpractice in any exam will result in the student’s immediate withdrawal from the exam. The student will then be subject to an additional fee to re-sit this exam. Serious malpractice may result in complete withdrawal from the course without recourse to a refund.
10. Submission of work. Where your course requires work to be submitted you are required to submit this by the date stipulated from student support. Failure to do so will mean that you will not be assessed on the designated assessment days and you will therefore incur the appropriate charge to reschedule your assessment dates.
11. Venues & dates. Discovery Learning endeavour to book quality training venues at convenient times and dates. However from time to time these may change and this may be outside of our control. Furthermore we cannot guarantee that all courses will reach the minimum numbers required to run the course, subsequently we reserve the right to reschedule or cancel the courses should this occur. Where this is the case notification will be sent to you via email and you will be entitled to a free course transfer to an alternative course date or venue (subject to availability). With this in mind we suggest that any travel or accommodation booked is flexible to allow you to transfer as we will not be liable for non refundable travel and accommodation. Occasionally the Awarding Organisation’s change the course syllabus and where students have booked a long time in advance, additional time and new learning materials may be required. If the delay is not as a result of a change of dates from the original course that you booked, then Discovery will provide new materials.
12. Certificates. Course/module certificates will be issued to the students only after the payment for the course was received in full by Discovery Learning. For students who signed up for the recurring payment plan all the instalments have to be paid up in full before the certificates will be issued to the student for the completed course. The certificates will be despatched via recorded delivery which requires the student to sign for the letter upon delivery. The delivery address will be the same as the one given on the enrolment form in the field Home address (for manuals & certificate). Should the delivery address change, the student will need to notify Discovery Learning in writing before their certificate is despatched. Discovery Learning does not take the responsibility for the certificates which have not been collected by the student or returned to Discovery Learning office by post. In case of mail returns the certificates can be re-posted after the student has paid the £15.00 postage fee to Discovery Learning. *replacement certificates which need to be requested by Discovery Learning from awarding bodies will cost £25.00 per each certificate. The student will need to make the payment in full before the replacement certificate is requested.
13. Special offers. From time to time Discovery Learning may announce special offer prices of courses to the students who book the course within certain period of time with dates defined clearly in the special offer terms. The discounted price / offer will only be valid to the students who make the full payment or in case of the payment plan - the first instalment payment agreed with Discovery Learning Sales Team. If the first payment does not reach Discovery Learning by the last day of the special offer the regular price of the course will apply to the student. Only one special offer will be honoured at a time. If you have purchased a course and then find that this course has subsequently been offered at a different price or incorporating different components you will not be entitled to the special offer price or course package.
14. Updates. Please always refer to the current version of Discovery Learning Terms & Conditions available on www.discovery.uk.com website or from a member of staff upon request.
15. Interest charge. Interest rate of 8.5% will be charged on all overdue payments.
16. Recurring payment Terms & Conditions
Further information regarding the payment agreement:
1. Discovery Learning will not store any card details used for the purpose of taking the above payments contracted between Discovery Learning and the Student on dates agreed
(or the next working day in case the payment date falls on Saturday or Sunday).
2. By signing this agreement the Student acknowledges that payments will be taken from the card details provided on the agreed dates which can be initially chose by the students from the following options: on the 1st day or on the 15th day of each subsequent month.
3. Students booking on a course and taking out a payment plan over the amount of £750 will be subject to a £10 credit check. Students will need to pay this £10 fee first and asked to provide proof of address and identification documents to carry out the credit check. Credit checks that return a low score will be reviewed and students may be asked to pay a higher deposit or the course fee in full.
4. In case that the payment has not been processed because of lack of funds in the account given, the Student will be given 5 working days to pay the outstanding instalment amount do Discovery Learning.
For the Student whose payment fails, from their debit/credit card, Discovery Learning will charge a £10.00 non-payment fee for each failed attempt. For the purpose of clearing an outstanding balance Discovery Learning reserves the right to take a payment from any payment card provided by the Student. It is the Student’s responsibility to check their account deductions and contact Discovery Learning immediately to make the outstanding payment, if any of the transactions were not processed. Discovery Learning aim to inform the student about outstanding payments however due to external circumstances or incorrect contact details Discovery Learning may not be able to contact the student after each missed payment.
5. Discovery Learning will accept the following cards only: Visa Electron, Visa Debit / Credit, Mastercard, UK Maestro. By providing the card details the Student agrees that they are the owner of the card or have been fully authorised to use the card by the card owner.
6. Students completing the electronic payment agreement via the Echosign facility will need to type their Name and Surname in the Student’s signature field and submit the agreement to us. This will act as a signature.
7. In case of any further questions please refer to Discovery Learning Terms & Conditions document or ask a member of Discovery Learning for assistance.
8. Discovery Learning do not have the facility to make any changes or cancellations to the existing payment agreement. In case student decides to pay off the total outstanding balance after the recurring payments has been set up the interest fee still will be charged.
9. Course / module certificates will be issued to the students only after the payment for the course was received in full by Discovery Learning. For students who signed up for the recurring payment plan all the instalments have to be paid to be paid up in full before the certificates will be issued to the student for the completed course.