Obesity & Diabetes Management
This Level 4 Certificate in Obesity & Diabetes Management represents 12 years of research from the leading obesity and weight management organisation in the Health and Fitness Industry. Weight Management Centre Ltd (Discovery Learning's parent company) deliver obesity services to thousands of adults and children across the UK and provide weight management and obesity intervention services on behalf of multiple Health Authorities. This piece of work is authored by experts in this field who are qualified to MSc level (obesity and or exercise physiology) or are Dietitians or Registered Nutritionists, and are working with clinically obese clients daily. The course is designed entirely for practitioners wishing to work in obesity and diabetes management, and the skills learned on the course represent current best clinical practice. You will also receive a separate REPs accredited certificate in Motivational Interviewing and Behaviour Change as part of this course.
The course is updated each quarter and as such represents the most up to date piece of work you will encounter, with over 500 references covering, physical activity behaviour change and nutrition, as well as a wealth of practical tools for assisting your clients. Students from both the health sector and the fitness industry attend with extremely positive feedback. This Level 4 obesity and diabetes management course is perhaps our most popular course and is designed for health and wellness practitioners that are working (or planning to work) in the field of obesity management. If you are an exercise professional, this level 4 obesity course will provide you with the credentials to register as a REPs level 4 Fitness Professional - currently the highest in the UK. This course will encompass home study as well as four days of attendance for the practical workshops. At the practical attendance days you will meet with many people from a variety of backgrounds and professions. The group workshops are unique learning environments with lots of opportunity to explore your ideas alongside health practitioners and a wide variety of health, fitness and wellness professionals. If you wish to read more about Weight Management Centre an obesity management organisation on the Department of Health List of Obesity Trainers and also appointed to the Dept of Health. The Level 4 Obesity & Diabetes Management Qualification is awarded as an Industry Award through Sector Skills Council SkillsActive.
- An overview of the obesity pandemic: Prevalence of Obesity, Causes of Obesity, Unhealthy Foods and Pathogenesis of Obesity and Disease, Impact of Early Life and Growth Patterns, Economic consequences of an obese population
- Obesity & Disease: The Impact of Obesity – Mortality, The Impact of Obesity – Morbidity, Benefits of losing weight, Diabetes and the Metabolic Syndrome, Disordered Eating, Pharmacotherapy for Obesity, Bariatric surgery, Two Models of Obesity: The Medical Model, The Public Health Model, The Obesogenic Environment, Economic Drivers of Food and Drink Consumption, Local Government, Policy and Planning
- Weight Gain - an Explanation: Set Point Theory, Diets Don’t Work, The Obesity Cycle of Self Perpetuation, Sleep and Obesity, The Palaeolithic diet, Genetic Susceptibility to Weight Gain, Thrifty Genotype, Epigenetics & the Phenotype, The Role of Fat, Fat Equals Energy, Fat Storage and Utilisation, Other Forms of Energy Utilisation, Adipocyte Biology, Fat Deposition & Distribution, Basic concepts of human energetics, Energy – Intake & Expenditure, Regulating Energy Expenditure, Control of Food Intake, Chemical Signals and Neuro-transmitters in Energy Regulation, Integrated Models of Food Control.
- Some practical aspects of weight management: Food Cravings and Addictions – Are they Real? Why Do We Eat When We Are Not Hungry? Determinants of Food Choice, Some psychological messages for your client, Strategies for Curbing Emotional Eating, A Review of Dietary Regimes for Weight Loss, High Protein Diets (Low Carb Diets), Weight Maintenance
- Exercise for Obese or Diabetic Clients: Introduction to Exercise Obesity and Diabetes, ACSM on Appropriate Levels of PA for Weight Loss & Preventing Regain, Barriers to Physical Activity, The Basics of Providing a Physical Activity Plan, A Walking Programme, Exercise and Diabetes, Type 1 Diabetes, Type 2 Diabetes, Exercise and Obesity, Exercise Regime for pre and post Bariatric Surgery
- Human Behaviour, Changing Habits: Theories of Behaviour Change, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, Motivational Interviewing, The Performance Equation, Strategies for Changing Behaviour, Social Marketing a practical explanation
- Setting up a Weight Management Intervention: NICE Clinical Recommendations – Summary for Practitioners, Client Assessment, Risk Stratification and Screening, General Guidance of the Assessment of Clients, Body measurements and Calculations, NHS Exercise Referral: A National Quality Assurance Framework, Health and Safety, Guidance on Efficacy of Self Help Weight Management, Overview of Programme Approach, Course Structure & Suggested Components, Creating a Daily Calorie Deficit, Planning & Time Management, Administration and Record Keeping, Promotion and Evaluation of the Service
Aims of the course:
- Have a thorough understanding of the underpinning factors driving the obesity pandemic, including social, behavioural and physiological determinants of obesity
- Understand the linkages of obesity to disease and the development of the metabolic disruptions associated with excess adiposity
- Have the knowledge and information to set up a NICE compliant obesity management programme and the skills to lead one to one intensive interventions or group programmes.
- Know how to effectively assess a client: stage and progression of obesity, comorbidity, functionality, mobility, physical fitness, risk, psychological issues including preparedness for change, dietary assessment etc.
- Have expertise in designing weight reduction programmes for obese subjects involving physical activity, behaviour modification and nutritional advice
- Work with all BMI ranges of obese and diabetic clients to develop meaningful and realistic targets and goals and know how to review and adapt goals accordingly.
- Be able to develop safe and effective exercise programmes for obese clients with multiple comorbidities and in particular diabetes and metabolic syndrome
- Understand the risks associated with working with obese and diabetic clients in an exercise setting.
- Have an in-depth knowledge of the environmental, social and cultural aspects of population obesity sufficient to lead on aspects of policy design and strategy development.
- Outline the credible prevention and intervention strategies to combat obesity at a local and national level, and advise on the design and implementation of both obesity interventions and prevention programmes
Our REPs Level 4 Obesity Management Qualification is a blended learning course, meaning that you do approximately 4 weeks home study followed by a 2 day tutorial. You will then complete a further 6-8 weeks home study and attend a further 2 days at one of our venues. Late bookings on this course can be accepted but you must first speak to an advisor to ensure that you are in a position to catch up on the home study component.
Formative assessment (During the course)
This aspect is included to assist learning and does not form part of the final assessment, and as such will not influence final result.
- Obesity and Diabetes management. Completion and submission of home study workbook (self assessment from model answers)
- Nutrition. Completion and submission of home study workbook (self assessment from model answers)
- Mock examination
Summative Assessment (End of course):
- 40 Question multiple-choice examination (70% pass mark required). Internally marked by WMC.
- 3 open questions (up to 200 word response 70% pass mark required) internally marked by WMC.
- Multi component case study based upon a real person with a ≥BMI30kg/m2 (70% pass mark required)
You are required to pass all three elements of the summative assessment. If you refer any component of the summative assessment you will need to arrange a resit or resubmission. Resits and resubmissions and MCE or open question papers are all charged at £50 each. These will need to be paid for prior to attendance or submission.
All Discovery Learning certificates and qualifications are fully recognised throughout the fitness industry and are accredited by REPs.
Upon successful completion of the course, learners will receive the following certificate:
Discovery Learning Certificate: Level 4 Obesity & Diabetes Management
To gain a L4 status with REPS candidates must have a recognised L3 Exercise Referral Qualification.