How To Become A Personal Trainer In The UK

become a PT

Being a personal trainer is a great career for people who are passionate about exercise and enjoy helping others. It can be a bit confusing trying to work out the best way to get started in this business, so here we explain everything you need to know to understand the process of getting qualified and becoming a personal trainer in the United Kingdom…


What do I need to be a personal trainer?

There are only four things you require in order to work as a personal trainer in the UK:

1) Level 2 Gym Instructor Qualification

2) Level 3 Personal Trainer Qualification

3) First Aid Certificate

4) Personal Trainer Insurance


1) Level 2 Gym Instructor Qualification

The level 2 gym instructor course (also known as a fitness instructor course) is most people’s entry point to a career in the fitness industry.

By itself it entitles one to work as a gym instructor for a gym, health club, or other fitness establishment in the UK and internationally.

As a level 2 qualification it is at the same level as a general certificate of secondary education (GCSE), so it is not difficult to get for people who do the necessary study. We have a 93% first-time pass rate for students on our gym instructor courses.

When studied on a part-time basis the course takes six weeks, and when studied full-time only eight days.

We teach the course part-time in each of our ten academy locations across England and Wales and full-time in London, Manchester, Bournemouth, Coventry and Cardiff.

We offer any of our one day CPD courses free with our gym instructor course.


2) Level 3 Personal Trainer Qualification

The big one…

The level 3 personal trainer course entitles a person to work for themselves as a personal trainer in the UK and internationally.

At level 3 it is at the same level as an A-level or a BTEC National Diploma and as such is a more challenging course than the level 2 gym, but we have an 85% first-time pass rate for students on our personal trainer courses.

When studied on a part-time basis the course takes five months, and when studied full-time only 3 weeks.

Anyone who does not already have the prerequisite level 2 gym course can study both the level 2 and level 3 courses with one of our combined course packages which take slightly longer but are much better value than studying both courses separately.

We teach the course part-time in each of our ten academy locations across England and Wales, and full-time in London, Manchester, Bournemouth, Coventry and Cardiff.



3) First Aid Certificate

The first aid certificate, sometimes known as an emergency first aid at work qualification, is a Health and Safety Executive (HSE) recognised certification.

It teaches personal trainers how to perform basic first aid in case any of their clients should sustain an injury during training.

It is valid for three years before it needs to be renewed.

We provide the training for this qualification free to students on our full-time personal trainer courses. Alternatively it can be purchased as a standalone course.


4) Personal Trainer Insurance

Personal trainer insurance is not technically a legal requirement, but it would be extremely foolish for anyone to work as a personal trainer without it.

If someone under the supervision of a personal trainer is hurt or injured during the course of their training, if the trainer does not have an insurance policy in place, he or she would be personally liable for the costs of their injury.

Translation: If you’re running with a client in a park and he falls and breaks his leg so can’t work for six months, without insurance you could end up owing him six month’s wages.

We provide four week’s free insurance for graduates of our personal trainer courses.

To find out everything you need to know about personal trainer insurance including our recommended providers, check out our guide to personal trainer insurance.


How to be a personal trainer?

After you’ve got your qualifications and your insurance sorted out, the sky really is the limit for your career as a personal trainer. You will have to decide what kind of personal trainer you want to be and what kind of clients you want to work with, but most important of all you will need to market yourself and get clients.

How do I setup my own personal trainer website to get clients?


Thanks for reading. If you have any questions, please leave a comment below and we’ll try to help you out. If you found this article useful, why not share it with your friends and help inform others?


  1. jonathan may says

    Am interested in becoming a personal trainer and would like some more information on how about doing it such as costs etc .

    • Discovery Learning says

      Hi. Why not give us a call and chat to one of our advisers on 0208 543 1017? Or go to our homepage and use our live chat feature to talk to someone?

  2. Adrion says

    Personal trainers are much like an entrepreneur. They help the clients to achieve their goal. So if you want to become a personal trainer, you require some qualification. The above information, gives a brief idea about that.

  3. katarzyna says

    i would like to become a personal trainer what do i have to do?what courses or trainings do i have to finish?

  4. Andrew says

    Have started at a gym and getting in shape, am starting to get the fitness bug and would be interested in doing this for a career could you please send me more info . Venues costs etc

    • Discovery Learning says

      Could you please be more specific? Are you asking us how much freelance personal trainers normally have to pay to be allowed to find and train clients in an established health club?

      If you’d like to have a conversation with us, please feel free to give us a call on 0208 543 1017 and speak to one of our advisers.

  5. shafeeque says

    now I am taking a fitness course I am already finish higher secondary education. what qualifications more for me?? I would like settle to uk.i am a indian citizen.

    • Discovery Learning says

      As stated in the article, to work as a personal trainer in the United Kingdom, you need to have completed a level 3 personal trainer course.

  6. David Major says

    I’d like to be a tennis coach but the personal trainer level 2 required.Is this the same certification what I need or different?

  7. Dam says

    I am physiotherapist from India and on student visa right now in uk. Can I be eligible for doing job as personal trainer?

    • Discovery Learning says

      You are only eligible to work as a personal trainer in the UK if you have a level 3 personal training qualification. If you did get qualified to work a personal trainer, your additional skills as a physiotherapist would make you a high earning personal trainer, because you’d be able to get a lot of clients in need of rehabilitation training.

  8. Othmane Noubir says

    Hi, im from morroco and i would like to achieve those certifications but can i work with these certifications outside the U.K. ??

    • Discovery Learning says

      In some external countries UK certifications are sufficient to work as a personal trainer. It depends what country you want to work in.

  9. gavin says

    im ex uk infantry and train 6 days a week in my local gym, a friend has said to me i should research doing a course to become a full time personal trainer

  10. ignas says

    If I have very deep understanding about personal training, nutrition, have a lot experience in training, etc. Can I pass the courses faster then it should be?

    • Discovery Learning says

      Hi Ignas. Possibly you could do it faster than our other students. You should contact our sales team to ask them for advice. The number is 0208 543 1017.

  11. adarsh says

    1st of all very nice article. .2nd..I am from India 17 yrs old and I am just a beginner right now but I am interested to take fitness as a im interested to know which is the best institute for personal trainer certification in UK or in the world and are there any other options in fitness other than personal training?

    • Discovery Learning says

      Yes, there are lots of other types of fitness professional besides personal trainers.

      And the best institute for getting qualified as a personal trainer in the UK is us, Discovery Learning, because we offer the same quality as the best in the business but for much lower prices.

    • Discovery Learning says

      I suggest you give us a call on 0208 543 1017. Our staff will be happy to provide you with all the information you require.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *